CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
All submissions must adhere to the following criteria:
1. All work must be original and unpublished.
2. All manuscripts must be typed. No handwritten manuscripts will be accepted. You must submit four copies of your work.
3. No more than one submission (novel, short story, or set of poems) per person. You may only submit in one category.
4. No school assignments will be accepted as submissions.
5. All submissions must include a cover page with the following information: author's name (no pen-names will be accepted), at least two ways the author can be contacted, a clear statement of the category of the manuscript ("novel", "short story", or "poem"). All submissions must also include a photocopy of omang, passport and residence certificate, or other form of identification. The first page of the manuscript (not the cover page) must also state clearly the category of the manuscript.
6. All submissions must be written in English, and be thoroughly revised and proofread for grammar and spelling.
7. Except for the cover page, manuscripts should not have the author's name on them. Judges will judge all submissions blindly; that is, they must not be able to identify the author.
Any submissions that do not follow the above criteria will be disqualified.
Authors are advised that they may be asked to authenticate their work, and therefore SHOULD NOT DESTROY any drafts, including the first one, since winners may be asked to produce them as proof of originality.
Contestants may only win once in each category (once you win, you are barred from entering in the same category again for three years), and contestants must enter their own work (a publisher or friend may not enter your work).
Send four copies of your manuscript to
Bessie Head Heritage Committee members, Pentagon Publisher employees, contest judges, and members of their families are prohibited from entering. Pentagon Publishers reserves the right to publish prizewinning manuscripts and to evaluate the remaining manuscripts for publication. All manuscripts will be deposited with Bessie Head Heritage; however, pentagon publishers acknowledges the substance of the rights of copyright in the manuscript and the lawfulness and validity of the copyright holder's rights and title to the rights of copyright in the manuscript.